Woman Ended Up Fighting For Her Life After Minor Slip Up During Pedicure

There's nothing more relaxing than going out to a salon for a little pampering. One great way to treat yourself and make yourself feel good is by getting a pedicure. Letting a professional clean and pretty up your feet makes you want to run around in strappy sandals for the next few days. One woman who went for a pedicure, however, didn't get to show off her trimmed and polished tootsies. She ended up in the hospital.

Tara Batista went to a certified nail salon for her weekly pedicure and expected a professional job. She wasn't particularly thrilled, however, with the job that her nail technician did. Still, she figured it was nothing to get upset over and she just tried to go on with life.

Things took an unexpected turn, though, when she started feeling pain in her foot. Soon that pain began shooting up her leg. In time, she started feeling weak.

Batista couldn't continue to ignore the pain as it became excruciating and debilitating. She called an ambulance and was rushed to the hospital. As it turned out, she was suffering from a terrible infection in her big toe.

Doctors told Batista she had an abscess on her left large toe, and she asked them if it could have come from her recent pedicure that she got earlier that day. They said that there was no way to confirm that, but it was most likely the cause of it.

Hours after the pedicure at Nail Image in Tampa, Florida, Batista's foot was turning black and the pain was unbearable. She feared that she could lose her foot - or worse, her life.

“An infection that comes on in less than 24 hours—to that severity, something’s not right,” Batista told WFTS.

Batista says when she was getting her pedicure, the technician was trimming away at her foot in a very rough and speedy manner. She remembers she even asked the nail tech to slow down a little.

“It was painful,” she said.

Nail salons are supposed to keep their instruments, water and basins sanitary; however, if they become a bit lax or careless in their routines it can easily lead to dangerous bacteria being passed to a customer. That's what Batista had: a bacterial infection.

Batista is very lucky that she went to the emergency room right away or things could have turned out much worse. She had to have foot surgery and had to stay in the hospital for a week after the incident, but she's finally been discharged and she's recovering. She needs to remain on IV fluids and stay stationary for six weeks, but she's expected to recover.

Sadly, this means that her wedding will have to be postponed. “This is not what I envisioned for my wedding,” Tara said. “It’s been a total nightmare.”

The owner of the nail salon insists that there was 'no conclusive proof' that Batista got her infection at the establishment. They refused to comment on the woman's story.

Source: AWM
Photo: Fox 8

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

Some people just see a bunch of clothing displays hanging from the rafters at one Walmart store. Others see something far more sinister.

A...

After bullies stole his shoes, one Ohio boy had to wear his grandmother’s shoes to school the next day. And because of this, he was taunted and...

One dad was badly shaken when his baby girl was choking. He says he wishes he didn't get lazy about reading labels, and he warns other parents to...

School kids are always going down to the nurse's office for minor injuries and illnesses, or to try and get out of class once in a while. But one...

It’s amazing what modern medical science can do – if you can find the right doctor. Chris and Kirstin Stallings of Kansas City had been married...

Latest Fab Stories

Cindy O'Hara posted some photos of her two-year-old son playing with a gun. She shared the photo with a few private Facebook groups for parents...

Two women stopped to check out a vehicle in the middle of the roadway that raised some red flags. They found a man passed out in the driver's seat...

Unfortunately, racism is still very common in many parts of the US, and the consequences can be heart-wrenching.

A sweet girl in Memphis...

Almost two months ago now, Frank Hemani, the owner and manager of the Star Mart gas station in Lake Fork, near Emory, Texas began offering a...

A mom in Boise was upset by a note that complained about her 10-month-old son screaming in a restaurant. The manager asked the diners who wrote...