Quantcast

Boy Dies After Getting The Flu - Now Parents Are Warning Others

When their children started to show flu-like symptoms, parents prepared to help them through the illness. Unfortunately, it wasn't the flu at all, and their son is now dead.

Mother-of-three Sarah Klebs never suspected that her two youngest children were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning whilst on a holiday in a cabin near Big Lake, Alaska. When her two youngest children began to vomit and complain of headaches, Ms. Klebs assumed that her family had picked up a flu virus and sent them to bed to rest. The three were found the following day in their bed, unresponsive and in a critical condition.

Ms. Klebs was unconcerned when her youngest son Gavin, and youngest daughter Caroline grew dizzy, nauseous and developed headaches. Believing the symptoms to be a part of the common cold, Ms. Klebs sent herself and the children to bed. However, when Ms. Klebs did not come to pick up her eldest son, Connor, from a friend's place the following morning, the family friends decided to check on them. While Gavin was found with no signs of life, Caroline and Ms. Klebs were rushed to Mat-Su Regional Medical Center in a critical condition.

After a thorough investigation, it was discovered that a faulty propane-powered fridge was leaking carbon monoxide throughout the small cabin while the family slept, silently poisoning them. The family had intended on installing a carbon monoxide detector in the cabin, however, they were waiting for winter to make the installation. “Prior to this, I never would have thought about it,” Ms. Klebs confessed. “How would you know?

Mr. Klebs, a mechanical contractor, was heartbroken after the loss of his 10-year-old son, stating that he believed the refrigerator to be in good condition, even regularly maintaining it himself. The devastated parents have spoken out about their boy’s death, hoping that their candidness would warn other families about the hidden dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and urge them to install a carbon monoxide detector in their homes.

Friends of the family have started a GoFundMe page in order to assist the heartbroken family with paying for medical bills. Currently, the page has fundraised around $27,000 to be put towards the family’s medical expenses. Seth McMillan, the man who created the fundraising page, confirmed that both Ms. Klebs and her young daughter have been released from the hospital, claiming that they are doing “exceptionally well given their questionable medical conditions upon admission.”

“Caroline was still weak and somewhat cognitively slow when she was discharged however, she started school… and has returned to her normal physically active self,” Mr. McMillan explained. “Sarah walked out of the hospital requiring no further medical follow-up.”

“The family is mourning the loss of Gavin, but they rest in the peace that he is with our Heavenly Father,” Mr. McMillan concluded, thanking all those who donated for their generosity and support. Hundreds of individuals have rallied behind the despairing family, donating anywhere from five to thousands of dollars. The Alaska Integrated Service left a generous donation of $1,500, commenting “Our sincerest sympathies to you and your family during this difficult time.”

Source: AOL
Photo: Twitter, Alaska Dispatch News

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

President Donald Trump and the mainstream media have been at war since the presidential election. Trump has time and time again attempted to...

A California couple were arrested for starving and torturing their 13 children after one teen escaped and reported the abuse. The Riverside County...

For parents of small infants, it can be incredibly tough to get back to the grind and head back to work. Unfortunately, finances rule the day in...

For victims of domestic violence, it’s pretty common for them to feel as though they are trapped with nowhere to go. While it’s impossible not to...

Love triangles rarely end well, and that’s not a lesson that can only be learned by digesting an endless diet of bad reality television. It’s like...

Latest Fab Stories

A family in Oklahoma is suffering a traumatic loss after a 3-year-old girl was killed by their new dog. The father had just bought the dog from a...

A man happened to be passing by the University of Maryland Medical Center when he witnessed a horrific sight. He saw some guards from the hospital...

On Monday, the first family boarded Air Force One in Florida, and the 'sunshine state' was experiencing an unusual burst of bad weather. It wasn't...

When Olympic medalist McKayla was inspired by the #MeToo movement, she shocked the world by revealing that she had been sexually abused by her...

If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. While that age-old sentiment may sound hokey and corny, getting more people on...