Quantcast

Family Suffers Devastating Loss After Household Accident Claims Life Of Toddler

A family in Ohio are mourning the loss of their toddler. The child passed away after getting tangled in the cord of their window blinds. The sad fact is, this kind of tragedy happens all too often and is preventable.

Whitney Hanna turned her back on her daughter, Roselynn 'Rosie' Mae Hanna, for just a few minutes on Saturday afternoon. The mother momentarily left her three-year-old to go get her two-year-old son. Minutes later, she returned to find a nightmare unfolding.

Rosie had become tangled in the window blind's cord and had been strangled. She was found unconscious in her mother's room. Her mother called 911 and gave Rosie CPR until the ambulance arrived. She had no idea what happened.

Police found the ligature marks from the cord and realized that it had been the window blinds that strangled Rosie. The little girl was rushed to the hospital and the family held onto hope for a day. The day after the accident, however, the little girl was pronounced dead.

The day Rosie died was her older sister's birthday. Brooklyn Hanna was turning six years old, but instead of planning a party, her family was planning a funeral.

"My niece had to tell Roselynn's older brother and sister, Gavin and Brooklyn, that their sister was going to heaven,” said Rosie's uncle, Jeff Carrabine. "One hell of a birthday present."

The sad part is that this danger is not unknown. According to the organization Parents for Window Blind Safety, approximately 600 children have died in the past 30 years due to window blind cord-related accidents.

"The problem is it’s a hazard in plain sight that parents don’t think about or they trust in the safety device to keep their kids safe," said founder Linda Kaiser.

Some retailers have stopped selling blinds with cords in an attempt to stop the accidents from happening, but since blinds can be around for years, they're still found in a lot of homes. Because they are inexpensive window coverings, many families use them, and even apartment complexes install them automatically in every unit.

Hospital workers have seen it all too often. "It can happen very quickly and when it does it's often fatal," said Tracy Mehan, who works at the hospital where Rosie died.

Many parents have even heard of the danger, but dismissed it as unlikely. “In a million years, I would never have imagined it could happen to me,” said Erica Barnes Thomas. She lost her two-year-old son, Cormac, in a window blind cord accident.

“I am a little bit of a control freak. I’m very type A and a little bit OCD about safety and cleanliness. We were so careful about everything," the mom says.

She even noted that she bought Roman shades to deliberately eliminate the danger. With Roman shades, the cords are tucked behind them. Cormac managed to get into it, though. Cormac had been sleeping one morning and the mom went to make breakfast. When she went back to check on him she found him on the floor, dead.

“When you lose a child, it’s a monster you cannot get away from,” she said. “It’s like a terror that never goes away.”

Source: Daily Mail, WHIO
Photo: Shoedinger Northeast Funeral Home

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

President Donald Trump and the mainstream media have been at war since the presidential election. Trump has time and time again attempted to...

A California couple were arrested for starving and torturing their 13 children after one teen escaped and reported the abuse. The Riverside County...

For parents of small infants, it can be incredibly tough to get back to the grind and head back to work. Unfortunately, finances rule the day in...

For victims of domestic violence, it’s pretty common for them to feel as though they are trapped with nowhere to go. While it’s impossible not to...

Love triangles rarely end well, and that’s not a lesson that can only be learned by digesting an endless diet of bad reality television. It’s like...

Latest Fab Stories

A family in Oklahoma is suffering a traumatic loss after a 3-year-old girl was killed by their new dog. The father had just bought the dog from a...

A man happened to be passing by the University of Maryland Medical Center when he witnessed a horrific sight. He saw some guards from the hospital...

On Monday, the first family boarded Air Force One in Florida, and the 'sunshine state' was experiencing an unusual burst of bad weather. It wasn't...

When Olympic medalist McKayla was inspired by the #MeToo movement, she shocked the world by revealing that she had been sexually abused by her...

If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. While that age-old sentiment may sound hokey and corny, getting more people on...