Man Gets Mysterious Bruises, Nearly Loses Life After Bug Bite

A man was bitten by some kind of bug, and as a result, his arm erupted into painful bruises. He says he's never seen a bug like that before, and doctors are stumped trying to figure out what it was, and what it did to him. He's part of a new case study.

Thomas Jay from Chandler, Arizona was engaged in a common household chore he'd probably done hundreds of times before: he was taking out the trash. When he looked down on his arm, he was startled to see an insect that he didn't recognize.

In the split second that it took his mind to register that he was seeing an unfamiliar bug, he was bitten.

“I just felt this excruciating pinch, this pressure, this bite or a sting … and [I] immediately went and swatted the bug off,” he said to KTVK of Phoenix.

That was the beginning of the problem. The painful bug bite just continuously got worse, and terrible black and red bruises made their way down Jay's arm. He looked like someone had beaten his arm with a mallet, they were so bad.

“It started with one little round circle and became an emergency in a matter of hours,” said Jay's wife, Dee Petrov. She reports that they went to several emergency rooms and hospitals over the next 24 hours.

Petrov says that, according to her husband, the insect resembled the 'camel spider', known also by its scientific name, solpugid. They're usually found in warm and arid habitats. While the bug looked similar to this type of spider, Jay says it's not an exact match and he can't be sure.

Doctors can't be sure either. They say they've never seen anything like Jay's violent reaction. They biopsied tissue from the man's arm and are waiting for the results.

“We are still praying there are no long-term effects, but there are still issues with the arm and more medical tests and doctors to see,” said Petrov, who is providing updates of Jay's condition on Facebook.

“I hope to give an overall story at some point with pictures to help anyone who this may happen to in the future … to be prepared,” Petrov wrote on Facebook. “We just don’t know that much about venom and how anyone will react.”

Jay has signed on with a medical team to become a case study. Since doing so, he says treatment has improved. “Even though they may not be able to figure out what it was, they might be able to help other individuals as they learn from this situation,” said Jay.

Petrov has started a GoFundMe page to get help with some of Jay's skyrocketing medical bills. In a recent Facebook update, she reports, “Thomas is doing better and we have been overwhelmed with information. Still researching and talking with professionals.”

She also urges people to always keep the number of poison control on hand—it could be a lifesaver.

Source: Yahoo, NY Daily News
Photos: Facebook, National Geographic, AZ Family

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

Tampons are a fact of life for many women, and few of us ever consider that the product we use monthly could ever be dangerous. One model was...

A young school girl decided to turn entrepreneur in her Wisconsin school, and she started selling 'water snake wiggly' toys. The teacher initially...

A Manhattan woman bought some clothes from Zara in Greenwich, Connecticut last July and hung them up in her closet. She put on one of the outfits...

When one California mom had enough of her daughter's tardiness and feet dragging in the mornings before school, she used her imagination to come...

A size 12 dress buyer from Scotland is criticizing European fashion titan H&M for their “irresponsible” clothing sizes when she could only fit...

Latest Fab Stories

In an amazing story out of the UK this week, we hear about a three-year-old toddler who saved his dad's life by force-feeding him chocolate...

Crystal Harrington, 22, works as a health aide during the day. Yet, the single mother was hoping to make extra money by becoming a waitress at...

A woman from England was going on about her daily business and everything seemed fine. The young woman first noticed something unusual one night...

A Vietnam veteran in Ohio passed away, but his family didn't tell anyone about his death. For several months, they kept the man's body in their...

Photos of one couple showing an incredibly tender and touching moment have gone viral. The photos were taken by their son and show their last...