Quantcast

Mom Carrying Baby Around In Sling Didn't Realize He was Suffocating

In 2013, a woman gave birth to her first child. Excited, the new mother purchased a baby-wearing sling so that she could keep him close. She thought it would be the safest place possible for him. Sadly, she was wrong.

Marianne Matthews decided to go for a little walk with her four-week-old son. It was Christmas Eve, and little Eric was very fussy, so the mom popped him into a baby carrier and headed to a nearby store.

Marianne, a first-time mom, bought the sling online. They seemed to be all the rage in baby gear at the time, but the package came with no warnings and few instructions. She never imagined it could be dangerous for Eric.

“He started to get a bit hungry, and I tried to breastfeed him whilst carrying him. I then decided to go home. At the time I thought Eric was just falling asleep.”

It was only a 10-minute outing, but by the time she got home again, Matthews was horrified to realize something had gone terribly wrong. Eric had blood coming out of his nose and was unresponsive. "He had either choked or got into difficulties. By the time I got back, he had stopped breathing,” Matthews had explained.

Eric was rushed to the hospital, but he never regained consciousness. On New Year's Day, in his mother's arms, the baby died. The sling was deemed the cause, though the coroner added, “There is nothing to suggest that the use of the sling was inappropriate or incorrect.”

The parents are devastated at the event and hope that sharing their story will help others become more aware. "As a new parent, you get marketed at relentlessly with baby products. [...] The dangers of slings were not mentioned in the antenatal classes we attended, or in any of the baby books we read,” Matthews said.

Source: IJR
Photo: Flickr/ Paulo REna da Silva Santarem

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

Guilty pleasures. We all have them, whether it’s thumbing through the pages of a tabloid magazine, or sitting down with a big old snack to watch...

One of the most terrifying things a parent can experience is looking at their child and noticing something is very wrong. One mom experienced this...

A family boarded a plane in Washington D.C. and flew back home to Texas. On the flight, the young boy asked for his mother's IPhone and began...

During his overseas trip, President Donald Trump made a stop at the holocaust museum in Israel. He made sure to mention what an amazing time he...

One Pennsylvania dad isn't going to be up for any father of the year awards after leaving his three children home alone. The dad wanted to visit...

Latest Fab Stories

As some people explained it, the slap heard round the world happened this week in plain sight. President Donald Trump is in the midst of his first...

A man who murdered a father of two in a bar fight will spend the rest of his life behind bars. Before facing his sentence, he had to face his...

Monica Lewinsky finds herself back in the spotlight in a big way this week, but this time it’s because of something she wrote. The former White...

Parents are told to make sure to use sunscreen on their babies to prevent painful burns. One parent tried to be conscientious and applied a...

When a baby was born with a rare genetic disease, doctors told his parents he probably wouldn't survive to see 10 years old. They were told there...