Mom Sounds Alarm After Doctor’s Advice Lands Her Son In Hospital

Hayley Lyons thought she was doing the right thing for her son while he was battling a case of the chickenpox. Unfortunately, what she was doing would lead to her son being admitted to the hospital with even bigger problems.

As Metro shares, Doctors had recommended that she give her son Nurofen to help ease his symptoms, so she did just that. She believed the ibuprofen-based medicine would help ease her child’s general itchiness and desire to scratch, but he would end up having a serious reaction to the medication.

Her son wound up in the hospital with septicaemia, also known as blood poisoning, and Lyons took to social media to warn other parents.

“Chickenpox is going round again, can I please remind people NOT to give to your children Nurofen/ibuprofen. This type of medicine is anti-inflammatory, it reacts with chicken pox making them go deeper into the skin tissue,” she wrote.

Four different doctors had recommended the medicine to treat her son, but new research suggests it may not be the best choice. Some patients with chickenpox can have severe reactions to the medicine, and Lyons son was one of the unfortunate ones.

Dr. Stephanie Smith, a pediatrician at Nottingham Children’s Hospital and a spokesperson for the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, acknowledges that the risk is there, but not all patients will have the extreme reaction that Lyons son had.

“There’s a recognition that ibuprofen has a link with skin reactions in children with chickenpox,” she said. “It would be good to advise parents and doctors about the risks.”

It certainly would be wise to advise doctors on the potential risks. The instructions inside of a pack of Nurofen clearly warn about the dangers for children with chickenpox, so it’s pretty alarming that four different medical professionals were either unaware or simply blew off the risk.

Smith would go on to recommend paracetamol as an alternative treatment.

Source: Metro
Photo: Hayley Lyons Facebook

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

When Azaelia is 5-years-old, her fathers will tell her how her mother is a man. The news will likely be less of a shock to the child than it was...

A man was bitten by some kind of bug, and as a result, his arm erupted into painful bruises. He says he's never seen a bug like that before, and...

A woman in Louisiana was suffering a horrible ordeal when a man she knew began holding her hostage. The woman managed to get help by writing a...

We’ve all been there: our noses have been to the proverbial grindstone during a particularly busy stretch, and we've found ourselves flat-out run...

A Roanoke, Virginia coffee shop owner wanted to remind people about a little thing called manners. The shop owner did so in a way that has really...

Latest Fab Stories

Some shopper at a Michigan mall got bored of browsing, and instead decided to stir up trouble and attack young women. They went after a young...

Over seven years ago, a woman in Oklahoma was outside mowing her lawn and doing a bit of gardening. The woman suddenly felt a bug bite on her...

One Kansas man has spent more than half of his life in jail, but it turned out to be all a big mistake. The man was released and exonerated of his...

Child abuse is one of the most horrific realities on the planet, and abusive parents are blights on the human race. Some abusers go to extreme...

They say it takes a village to raise a child, but a lot of people are afraid to step up. When kids behave badly, a lot of parents just shake their...