Mom Sounds Alarm After Doctor’s Advice Lands Her Son In Hospital

Hayley Lyons thought she was doing the right thing for her son while he was battling a case of the chickenpox. Unfortunately, what she was doing would lead to her son being admitted to the hospital with even bigger problems.

As Metro shares, Doctors had recommended that she give her son Nurofen to help ease his symptoms, so she did just that. She believed the ibuprofen-based medicine would help ease her child’s general itchiness and desire to scratch, but he would end up having a serious reaction to the medication.

Her son wound up in the hospital with septicaemia, also known as blood poisoning, and Lyons took to social media to warn other parents.

“Chickenpox is going round again, can I please remind people NOT to give to your children Nurofen/ibuprofen. This type of medicine is anti-inflammatory, it reacts with chicken pox making them go deeper into the skin tissue,” she wrote.

Four different doctors had recommended the medicine to treat her son, but new research suggests it may not be the best choice. Some patients with chickenpox can have severe reactions to the medicine, and Lyons son was one of the unfortunate ones.

Dr. Stephanie Smith, a pediatrician at Nottingham Children’s Hospital and a spokesperson for the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, acknowledges that the risk is there, but not all patients will have the extreme reaction that Lyons son had.

“There’s a recognition that ibuprofen has a link with skin reactions in children with chickenpox,” she said. “It would be good to advise parents and doctors about the risks.”

It certainly would be wise to advise doctors on the potential risks. The instructions inside of a pack of Nurofen clearly warn about the dangers for children with chickenpox, so it’s pretty alarming that four different medical professionals were either unaware or simply blew off the risk.

Smith would go on to recommend paracetamol as an alternative treatment.

Source: Metro
Photo: Hayley Lyons Facebook

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

Some people just see a bunch of clothing displays hanging from the rafters at one Walmart store. Others see something far more sinister.

A...

After bullies stole his shoes, one Ohio boy had to wear his grandmother’s shoes to school the next day. And because of this, he was taunted and...

One dad was badly shaken when his baby girl was choking. He says he wishes he didn't get lazy about reading labels, and he warns other parents to...

School kids are always going down to the nurse's office for minor injuries and illnesses, or to try and get out of class once in a while. But one...

It’s amazing what modern medical science can do – if you can find the right doctor. Chris and Kirstin Stallings of Kansas City had been married...

Latest Fab Stories

Cindy O'Hara posted some photos of her two-year-old son playing with a gun. She shared the photo with a few private Facebook groups for parents...

Two women stopped to check out a vehicle in the middle of the roadway that raised some red flags. They found a man passed out in the driver's seat...

Unfortunately, racism is still very common in many parts of the US, and the consequences can be heart-wrenching.

A sweet girl in Memphis...

Almost two months ago now, Frank Hemani, the owner and manager of the Star Mart gas station in Lake Fork, near Emory, Texas began offering a...

A mom in Boise was upset by a note that complained about her 10-month-old son screaming in a restaurant. The manager asked the diners who wrote...