Quantcast

Mom Warns Others After Daughter Almost Dies During Nap

A mom was in for a terrible shock when she went to check on her young daughter during nap time. When she was unable to wake the child, she knew that something was very wrong.

Heat stroke is a serious condition that can lead to brain damage, organ failure and even death. It happens when your body temperature rises to above 104 degrees, and is usually the result of physical exertion in the heat, or prolonged exposure to heat. The body loses water and salt, and is unable to sweat, thus unable to cool itself down. Then the internal temperature just keeps rising to dangerous levels.

Most parents know enough to try and keep their little ones cool and hydrated when they're outside playing in the summer heat, but one mother never thought her child could get heat stroke while taking a nap indoors.

Jennifer Abma, a work-at-home mom, kept her three-year-old daughter, Anastasia, indoors on a hot summer day, so she never thought the child would be in danger. Anastasia went down for her nap in the afternoon, and the mother went on with her business.

Abma later went into her daughter's bedroom and was shocked to find her sleeping girl 'soaked in sweat, red-faced and boiling'. She tried to wake her daughter up for 15 minutes but couldn't rouse the toddler out of her sleep. Abma began to panic.

The mom called an ambulance and paramedics arrived quickly. Local authorities also arrived to investigate. Anastasia was suffering from heat stroke and her blood sugar levels had fallen to dangerously low levels. After emergency medical technicians administered sucrose, a form of sugar, Anastasia woke up crying.

Abma is still shaking over the terrifying close call. She posted a picture of her daughter on Instagram. “There is nothing scarier than not being able to wake your baby up,” she wrote. “THIS is clear proof a child doesn't need to be in the sun to get heat stroke.”

The mother says she can't help feeling guilty because she didn't realize how hot it was getting in her daughter's room. “I had no idea how hot her bedroom was,” she said. "No it is not my fault this happened to her but it is hard not to blame yourself, this is a lesson learnt & hopefully other parents can take something from this & make sure you are checking the rooms in your house because the can be as dangerous as a hot car.”

Abma shared her story on Facebook and the post went viral, with many parents horrified about the potential danger.

“How did I miss this?! How terrifying oh my goodness! I'm so glad she’s ok!! I would not have known this either. Thanks for sharing Jenn to help another family from having this happen,” wrote one commenter.

If you believe your child is suffering from heat stroke, according to the MayoClinic.org, get them into the shade or indoors, remove excess clothing and try to cool them down. You can put them in a bath or shower with cool water, spray them with a hose. If all you have are small amounts of water, wet a rag or sponge and pat the child down while fanning them. If you have ice packs you can apply them to the head, neck, armpits and groin.

Don't hesitate to call emergency services, but taking immediate action to try and cool the child down can help prevent the heat stroke from getting worse.

Source: Independent
Photo: Jennifer Abma/Instagram

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

The term 'shotgun wedding' is an old one that came about as a sort of joke. If a couple was having a 'shotgun wedding', it meant that the bride...

There have been a lot of changes going on in Hollywood since the Harvey Weinstein scandal broke. The movie mogul was accused of sexual harassment...

A Palestinian-American family had attended a pro-Palestine demonstration and had a run-in with some flag-wearing Trump supporters. As one man...

Simone Biles is an amazing woman. At just 20 years old, she is the first Olympic gymnast ever to win four gold medals. She's a three-time world...

Ex-Vice President Joe Biden has been through a lot. So who better to console Meghan McCain, the daughter of seriously ill Republican Sen. John...

Latest Fab Stories

Melania Trump didn't seem to jump into the limelight like her attention-seeking husband did during the 2016 election. She showed up at merely a...

Authorities in France reported that 26 babies have been treated for salmonella poisoning this month, and the food illness outbreak has been traced...

One mom from Texas was about to take off for New York City with her 2-year-old son and her parents, but things had not been going well. After the...

A cheerleader from Milwaukee, Wisconsin unexpectedly suffered from cardiac arrest two years ago and was rushed to the hospital. She was diagnosed...

Parents are always looking for cute new poses for their little ones so they can show off the baby pictures. Anne Geddes really started the trend...