Quantcast

Simple Household Item Causes Painful Wounds And Disfiguring Scars

One woman in the U.K. enjoyed her electric oil diffuser. As oil diffusers had become so popular in recent years, she'd always heard people raving about them. She never knew that they could be so dangerous. She's now suffering from serious chemical burns on her face after coming in contact with oil vapors.

Emily Smith says she was home with her fiancé on bonfire night, but because he had recently had a serious accident, they weren't going anywhere. He'd broken a lot of bones and Smith had been caring for him. The two cozied up by the fire.

Earlier, Smith had been running her electric oil diffuser to infuse the room with relaxing scents like patchouli and other herbs. She went to turn off the device, which requires pushing a button for several seconds until it turns off. During this time, a little bit of vapor hit her face.

Smith didn't think much of it, though. She knew essential oil could be an irritant if it comes into contact with the skin, but a little vapor breezing past her face didn't seem like a big deal. She didn't even feel any pain.

A few hours later, Smith was stoking the fire when she suddenly felt a burning sensation on her face. She didn't come that close to the fire so she was confused by what was going on, but it just kept feeling worse.

She held her face under running water for a while and then called an emergency number. The emergency service worker told her it was a first-degree burn, which she could treat at home.

As the night went on, Smith's burn got worse and worse. Her face got puffy and she was having difficulty seeing out of her eyes. It turned out to be a lot worse than a first-degree burn.

"After my burns were assessed and treated, a chemical burn was diagnosed," Smith said. "All in all, the process took over 12 hours and in that time I was able to do some reflection and research. By then I had realized the link between the diffuser spraying on my face and what had happened.

I discovered the real danger of these essential oils, and realized that when the diffuser had sprayed onto me, essential oils had soaked onto my face and eyes and remained there. When exposed to the fire, these had a chemical reaction and ‘ignited’. Had I realized this earlier, I might have been given priority at the hospital, and treated faster."

Smith says she's sharing her story to get the word out. "I’m left wondering how many people realize the danger they are potentially putting before them. Our popular electric diffuser says ‘safe for use around children and pets’. From my experience, I would say this is not necessarily true.

We bought ours online, alongside the oils and there was no age verification needed. How many teenagers, or young people have bought them for themselves, or their friends seeing how trendy they are? I probably might have had one as a teen, and smoked a cigarette out of the window, not realizing the implications."

Source: New York Post
Photo: Emily Smith/Facebook, Cushy Spa/Flickr, Marco Verch/Flickr

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

A family in the UK was enjoying a lovely day out, and decided to stop at a McDonald’s for dinner on the way home. As the mom stood waiting for...

Looking for a job can be a pain, and there is nothing more disheartening than getting a rejection from a prospective employer. No one wants to...

People spend thousands of dollars per year on miracle products and services in hopes it will help them look younger. One man in Poland has the...

An Italian billionaire business man was distraught when his wife, a beauty queen from Ukraine, went missing. He called authorities and was...

A family in North Carolina went through a nightmare and feared losing their 6-year-old son, all because of a mosquito bite. The child got bit and...

Latest Fab Stories

A judge ruled that an Indiana man who has been accused of raping and eating his estranged girlfriend will stand trial. A state psychiatrist found...

Actor John Stamos and his wife, actress/model Caitlin McHugh, are new parents and are trying to enjoy family life. Unfortunately, trolls and...

A mother from Arkansas experienced every parent's nightmare after discovering that her nanny was abusing her daughter. The nanny barely got a slap...

Comedy actor Seth Rogen can make almost any story sound funny, but it helps when you have great material to work with. One personal story he told...

A mom shared a photo on Instagram in which she is nursing her three year old daughter. The mom reveals she is an extended nurser, and her older...