Quantcast

Simple Kitchen Accident Leaves This Mother Disfigured And Fighting For Life

A UK mom almost died after a cut on her eyebrow became infected with a flesh-eating bacteria that ate through her face.

It seems that Donna Corden, from Leeds, UK, fell in the kitchen and hit her head earlier this year, leaving a cut above her eyebrow. The 45-year-old mom soon came down with an infection called necrotizing fasciitis and ended up desperately ill in a coma for four days.

When she emerged from the coma, doctors took skin and muscle from her leg to try and fix the damage to her face. She will need more surgeries to repair her face after the swelling has gone down.

Donna remarked: “After I’d fallen my doctor put a few butterfly stitches across it. He was sure I’d be fine but sent me to the hospital for an x-ray to be on the safe side. The results were all clear so I went home to rest.”

However, the next day she started to feel sick and her face started to swell up.

Corden’s adult daughter Jayde called an ambulance immediately.

Donna describes what happened next: “The doctors told me I had a very dangerous infection, but by this time I was drifting in and out of consciousness. The next thing I remember is coming round a week later in intensive care.”

Doctors point out that necrotizing fasciitis can be caused by several types of bacteria, some of which are found commonly on the skin.

Occasionally, however, the condition is triggered when the bacteria enter the blood stream.

Keep in mind that the dangerous infection had turned septic and spread through Donna’s body quickly, leading her kidneys and heart to overheat and stop functioning.

Donna said: “I was far from out of the woods because the infection had eaten half my face. Underneath the bandages, there was raw tissue and muscle. When I woke up I asked for a mirror and when I saw my reflection I broke down.”

She continued: “I looked like a monster with a rugby ball stitched to the side of my face. I was in absolute bits. The skin around my left eye was black, and I had no sight on that side.”

Corden will require additional reconstructive surgery and it could be a year before she starts to look normal again.

She noted: “I’m still struggling to get my head around everything that’s happened…Doctors managed to save my eye but it’s going to be a while before I get my sight back completely.”

Not surprisingly, she says she’s just grateful to be alive: “I’ll never look the same again, but I’m lucky to be alive, that’s what matters more than anything.”

Source: Fox News
Photo: Mums new face! GoFundMe

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

Guilty pleasures. We all have them, whether it’s thumbing through the pages of a tabloid magazine, or sitting down with a big old snack to watch...

One of the most terrifying things a parent can experience is looking at their child and noticing something is very wrong. One mom experienced this...

A family boarded a plane in Washington D.C. and flew back home to Texas. On the flight, the young boy asked for his mother's IPhone and began...

During his overseas trip, President Donald Trump made a stop at the holocaust museum in Israel. He made sure to mention what an amazing time he...

One Pennsylvania dad isn't going to be up for any father of the year awards after leaving his three children home alone. The dad wanted to visit...

Latest Fab Stories

As some people explained it, the slap heard round the world happened this week in plain sight. President Donald Trump is in the midst of his first...

A man who murdered a father of two in a bar fight will spend the rest of his life behind bars. Before facing his sentence, he had to face his...

Monica Lewinsky finds herself back in the spotlight in a big way this week, but this time it’s because of something she wrote. The former White...

Parents are told to make sure to use sunscreen on their babies to prevent painful burns. One parent tried to be conscientious and applied a...

When a baby was born with a rare genetic disease, doctors told his parents he probably wouldn't survive to see 10 years old. They were told there...