School Gives Toddler with Deadly Dairy Allergy a Grilled Cheese Sandwich for Lunch

A three-year-old child is dead, and the grieving family is furious at the preschool. The school staff's gross negligence is what resulted in the very preventable death.

The parents had documented their child's allergies with the school and warned them not to give him any form of dairy. The school lunch workers gave the child a cheese sandwich.

Elijah Silvera was only three-years-old. He knew that there were certain foods that he wasn't supposed to eat, but at three a child doesn't understand allergens or ingredients in his lunch.

The adults responsible for him are supposed to be the ones looking out for his wellbeing, but they failed little Elijah in the worst way possible.

On November 3, Elijah went to his preschool in the historic Harlem neighborhood of New York City. At lunchtime, he was given a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. The little boy was deathly allergic to dairy.

As soon as Elijah started having a reaction, the school should have called 911. Instead, they called Elijah's mother, who came to rush her son to the hospital herself. Little Elijah went into anaphylactic shock and died in the emergency room.

Now his parents are demanding answers. On a fundraiser page trying to raise money for the toddler's funeral, his heartbroken father wrote their son was 'given a grilled cheese sandwich by an adult at the pre-k, despite them knowing and having documented that he has a severe allergy to dairy'.

"Those matters aside, we would like to go on record as saying: Elijah’s death was completely preventable. 5.9 million children under the age of 18 suffer from food allergies in the United States. That’s 1 in 13 children, which works out to roughly two children with allergies inside of every U.S. classroom. WE CAN AND MUST DO MORE TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN FROM LIFE THREATENING ALLERGIC REACTIONS IN U.S. SCHOOLS," the message read.

The family says they're now 'Focusing on advocacy for other children like Elijah gives us hope'.

New York City has shut down the preschool since the tragic event. The city Health Department ordered the school to be shuttered up after it failed to adequately supervise the children and follow its own written safety plan.

“There is nothing more important than the safety of our children and we are deeply saddened by this tragedy,” said Christopher Miller. "We will get to the bottom of what happened here. In the meantime, we're closing the Center for Family Services and continuing to aggressively investigate what happened and whether the facility could have done something differently to prevent this tragedy.”

At this point, both the school and the hospital are being investigated for the child's death to see what share of the blame is due to each.

The Administration for Children's Services Early Learn program, the program under which the pre-K was operating, is also being probed. “Following this tragedy, ACS and DOHMH are actively investigating all aspects of this program. The program is being closely monitored and we will promptly take appropriate action as needed.”

Source: Little Things
Photo: ABC7 Chicago, Silvera Family via The Epoch Times, Max Pixel, Google Maps

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

A Latina woman trying on a dress in a JC Penney store in Hayward, California discovered she wasn’t alone in the dressing room when a scorpion fell...

A woman in Hopatcong may still be upset about her divorce. The woman was ordered to pay $186 per week in spousal support, and she's very...

There was a time when people kept photo albums for their precious memories. Now, we have Instagram. One young couple on a date at a football game...

Carmen Mendez said she thought about not posting the pic on Thanksgiving, but decided to go ahead since it was a day to give thanks. A few days...

Vietnam Veteran Gary Dixon has Stage 4 lung cancer after being poisoned by Agent Orange while fighting for his country. Now he can’t even get...

Latest Fab Stories

A Florida barber played a joke on a 10-year-old customer in which he pretended to cut the child's ear off. The kid was freaking out in the chair...

A woman used a rather unseemly excuse to avoid work, and now she's paying the price.

In 2015, Caroline Boyle began telling her colleagues...

There is an old saying: "Beware of ex-lovers bearing gifts."

And if it's not an old saying, it should be. If you thought Greeks bearing...

Kathy and Bill Gunn waited nine long years to open a wedding gift. The gift was a white box from Kathy’s great Aunt Alison with an envelope that...

Looking for a job can be a pain, and there is nothing more disheartening than getting a rejection from a prospective employer. No one wants to...