Quantcast

Woman Had Itchy Eye - What Doctors Pulled Out Is Enough To Make Someone Faint

A woman from India was suffering from an itchy eye, and things got so bad that she went to the doctor for help. The doctor checked her eye and found that something had burrowed into it. A video of the intruding creature being removed is graphic and might make you want to puke.

The nauseating footage shows the surgery of a 56-year-old Indian woman known only as Lalitha. She had a 7-cm-long parasitic worm burrowed in her eye. Doctors operated to remove the long, disgusting parasite.

Lalitha sought medical help because her eye itch kept getting worse and more uncomfortable. She went to a government-run hospital in Ernakulam, Kerala when doctors found the creature curled up around her eyeball. The surgery lasted about 10 minutes as the doctors slowly and agonizingly pulled it out of Lalitha's eye.

Upon closer inspection, doctors realized that the worm was a dirofilaria. These types of worms are a kind of roundworm that burrow under the skin and into organs. They're the same family of worms that cause 'heartworm' in pets.

They're transmitted by mosquitos, fleas, ticks and lice, which transfer the parasite to a person after picking up eggs on a dog, wolf or racoon. They cause the infection, dubbed dirofilariasis.

Dirofilariasis was first documented back in 1885 in the 'Journal of Parasitic Diseases', and since then there have only been 900 reported cases in the world. Most cases come from Sri Lanka, Italy, France, Greece and Spain.

As gross as Lalitha's worm was, it could have grown to be twice as long. The entire story is enough to make you want to toss out your passport and avoid the countries in which it's most likely to occur, but there’s really no escaping the risk of ocular parasites.

While dirofilaria might be a rare parasite, it seems that a favorite place of a lot of common parasites is the human eye. Overall, such infections are becoming more common around the world. Various parasite eggs can be picked up from touching plants, all kinds of animals, foods, coming into contact with feces or mucus. Sharing make-up with someone infected can cause a problem as well. Some parasites can even come from contaminated water. Some people get parasites from their own contact lens. Contaminated water splashed on the lenses can transmit a parasite egg to the eye when the wearer puts on the lens.

Symptoms of eye parasites can vary, from conjunctivitis and ulcers to serious, permanent vision loss. Blindness can come from the parasite, or from the body's immune system trying to fight the parasite.

One of the best ways a person can try to prevent a parasitic eye infection is to keep their hands clean, as well as any products they use on their face or near their eyes. Don’t share face-care products, and follow directions when caring for contact lenses.

Source: Daily Mail
Photo: YouTube

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

Congresswoman Maxine Waters, who has called for impeaching the president, considers another administration official “even more dangerous” than...

When you take a look at all of the devastation that has been caused recently by major natural disasters, minor inconveniences don’t seem like that...

Mistakes happen to the best of us, and particularly innocuous ones can be laughed off once you realize the error of your ways. By extension, when...

For some reason, conservative media outlets love to attack the former president's daughters. Even as they cry that the children of presidents...

While it's been made abundantly clear that the Trump presidency aims to break free of most norms, some aspects are still at least mildly...

Latest Fab Stories

One woman spent a ton of money in the hopes of attaining her desired figure. The actual result has left her extremely disappointed.

A woman...

Freshman students were stunned when they caught sight of the events planned for their dorm. Students at Faraday Hall entering Loughborough...

A man made an emotional gesture by pushing an empty stroller along a marathon course.

Troy Austin, a successful Australian triathlete, was...

A young boy's rash proved to be far more than what met the eye.

Sydney, Australia is in the midst of a tick epidemic. The dangerous 8-...

One student, emboldened by the White House's DACA repeal, attempted to get his fellow student in trouble. Unfortunately for him, things didn't...