Quantcast

A Woman Nicked Herself While Shaving Her Legs And Nearly Died From It

Men and women nick themselves while shaving all the time, and most don't think anything about it. One woman's tiny nick turned into a major ordeal, and she was lucky to survive. The young mother still can't believe the close call.

Dana Sedgewick was doing something that many women do on a regular basis: shaving the bikini line. She just purchased a new razor and she wanted to give herself a quick trim, she told Hotspot Media.

After shaving, Sedgewick realized she cut herself. She ignored it, though, and chalked it up to part of shaving. "I felt unwell and noticed a little pimple on my groin which kept bleeding. I didn’t think anything of it as I often got a rash from shaving," she said.

"Little did I know that this tiny pimple would almost cost me my life," she added.

It turns out that Sedgewick had contracted a flesh-eating virus from the minor cut. At first, the mom of three went to her regular doctor just two days after getting the cut. She had been dizzy and nauseous. The doctor prescribed her antibiotics and swabbed the area for testing.

Hours after the doctor's visit, a nasty rash started spreading all over her legs. Then Sedgewick got a call back from her doctor and was ordered back in for more tests. When she arrived, she collapsed and was rushed to the hospital.

Doctors told Sedgewick that she had necrotizing fasciitis. The flesh-eating bacteria usually begins with a minor cut or scratch.

"By the time I got to the hospital, my legs were covered in black, rotting flesh. It was touch-and-go as to whether I’d make it," said Sedgewick.

The race was on to save Sedgewick's legs. Doctors rushed her into surgery and removed chunks of dead flesh from her legs, replacing it with uncontaminated skin from her back.

Things got worse, though, as Sedgewick developed blood poisoning (sepsis). Her heart stopped and her kidneys failed. Doctors induced a coma and said she had a 30 percent chance of survival.

She woke up nine days later. "When I woke up, my legs were covered in bandages and I had no idea what had happened. I thought I’d been in a car accident," Sedgewick said. "But when the surgeon asked me if I remembered shaving, I suddenly recalled trimming my bikini line."

"He told me that the spot on my groin had become infected, and I’d been very lucky to survive," she added.

Sedgewick has undergone 21 surgeries so far and has been left with extensive scarring. They thought that even if she survived, she would probably lose one or both of her legs, or at the very least, she would never regain use of them.

Sedgewick pulled through, though, legs intact, and she's learning to walk again with physiotherapy.

"It’s incredible to think a tiny shaving spot could have killed me. I had a very close shave indeed," she says.

Source: IJR, Cosmopolitan
Photo: Mail Online

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

Donald Trump should consider giving up the presidency due to the multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against him, Sen. Bernie Sanders...

The already fine line between privacy and the legally protected right to free speech has been further blurred by the rise of social media. A...

One woman who had just given birth experienced everyone's worst nightmare. What she thought was a simple but stubborn sore throat turned out to be...

Most people don’t associate the subject of menstruation with 300-lb professional football players. But most people don’t know Joshua Garnett,...

We have known for decades that window blinds pose a safety risk for children under the age of six, but for some reason, society is not heeding...

Latest Fab Stories

According to his girlfriend of two years, it turns out the sexiest man alive is definitely not the healthiest man alive.

41-year-old...

According to the very well-connected Tina Brown, George Clooney will not be running for president because his gorgeous and highly intelligent wife...

When you think about how many lives drugs ruin, you most often think about the people who are choosing that lifestyle. We forget how much greater...

A well-known New York City restaurant owner is alleged to have used the third-floor VIP lounge at his eatery as a “rape room”, based on an article...

A woman from England might end up single-handedly adding another letter to the LGBTQ list: 'S' for 'spirits'. The woman says that years ago she...