Woman Dismissed Sign Of Cancer - Now, She Has A Hole In Her Head

A woman has a hole in her temple after she ignored the advice of her beautician. The woman in question, 40-year-old Keely Jones, was told by her beautician that the red blemish could be a sign of skin cancer.

However, Ms. Jones – who believed that this part of her head was never exposed to the sun – ignored the beauty expert, believing that the blemish was merely a persistent pimple or cyst.

“I don’t usually have blemishes on my face, so it was unusual for me to get a spot. I thought it was just a stubborn one, so I just continued to pick it and every time it would just scab over and bleed,” she told The Metro. “After going for a facial I was advised to go and see a dermatologist after the beautician noticed the spot, but it took months to get referred to a clinic.”

By the time Ms. Jones was finally tested, dermatologists found that the ‘spot’ was actually a form of skin cancer clinically referred to as basal cell carcinoma. According to The Metro, this particular type of skin cancer can lead to extreme disfigurement if it is not treated in a timely manner.

By the time doctors removed the carcinoma, which took three separate attempts due to the lateness of the procedure, Ms. Jones had a deep and wide hole in her head. To ensure the wound healed properly, Ms. Jones required more than twenty stitches.

However, this still wasn’t enough to completely close the hole.

The frightening experience has come as a shock to Ms. Jones, who thought that she wouldn’t get skin cancer because she barely spent any time in the sun.

“I only ever used tanning beds when I was in my teens and I hardly went in the sun anymore,” she said. “And when I was in the sun my face would always be covered.”

It just goes to show that, even if you take every possible precaution, there is still a chance that your health can be put at risk by cancer.

Since having her cancer removed, Ms. Jones has spoken to local media outlets about how lucky she was, telling The Metro: “I’m lucky that I got the lump removed when it did, or it’s likely that the cancer would’ve spread across my face.”

After her stitches were taken out, Ms. Jones began opening up about the entire experience in a series of interviews, encouraging other people to get themselves checked out even if they don’t spend much time in direct sunlight. Ms. Jones also hopes that her actions will raise awareness about the importance of cancer prevention research.

“Hopefully it will help at least one person learn the importance of looking after their skin,” said Mr. Jones. “Skin cancer can happen to anyone. I hardly used tanning beds, and always avoided the sun, and I still managed to end up with skin cancer.”

Source: Metro
Photos: Keely Jones/Facebook

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

It’s amazing what modern medical science can do – if you can find the right doctor. Chris and Kirstin Stallings of Kansas City had been married...

Cindy O'Hara posted some photos of her two-year-old son playing with a gun. She shared the photo with a few private Facebook groups for parents...

Two women stopped to check out a vehicle in the middle of the roadway that raised some red flags. They found a man passed out in the driver's seat...

Unfortunately, racism is still very common in many parts of the US, and the consequences can be heart-wrenching.

A sweet girl in Memphis...

Almost two months ago now, Frank Hemani, the owner and manager of the Star Mart gas station in Lake Fork, near Emory, Texas began offering a...

Latest Fab Stories

A mom in Boise was upset by a note that complained about her 10-month-old son screaming in a restaurant. The manager asked the diners who wrote...

A video of a newborn infant has gone viral, and people are marveling at the footage. Doctors caught a rare instance in which a baby was born while...

We’ve all been there. We rush through a shopping trip at the end of a hectic day, and before we know it, we’ve left something valuable behind and...

A well-behaved four-year-old boy was kicked out of a restaurant in Atlanta because employees claimed his shirt violated the dress code of the...