Quantcast

Man Sues George Clooney And His Tequila Company After Getting Sick From Smoking Cocktail

One man says his life was turned around on a dime when he went to a swanky hotel with his wife to celebrate their anniversary. The couple says the bartender recommended some trendy new cocktail and urged them to drink it quickly.

When the man downed the drink, he collapsed on the floor in agony and has been suffering ever since. He's suing the hotel, the liquor brand, and the celebrities who own the liquor company.

Jeremy Cox says when a bartender at the Beverly Hilton Hotel recommended he and his wife try a smoking cocktail, he never dreamed that there would be anything in the drink that could harm him. The 25-year-old man and his wife, Jessica, were at a party at the Hilton on August 21, 2015 to celebrate their anniversary.

Jessica saw a woman drink a cocktail, then saw smoke pour out of her mouth.

"When I saw her blow out this puff of smoke I thought: 'That looks cool.' I've seen it on reality shows on TV," Jessica said.

When the couple went up to the bar, the bartender talked them out of the drink samples they requested and told them she would make them a 'special drink'. Jeremy and Jessica were excited about that.

"We were impressed. We thought we were getting the VIP treatment - we had no idea that what she was going to make for us would turn out to be dangerous," Jessica said.

The bartender gave them each a smoking Casamigos tequila cocktail. Casamigos is a brand from a company founded by George Clooney and his best friend, Rande Gerber, who is married to supermodel Cindy Crawford. Cox says the bartender encouraged them to drink fast, more than once.

Jessica sipped the drink, and Jeremy gulped it. He says as soon as he drank it, his 'insides felt like they were exploding'.

What the couple didn't know at the time was that the ingredient causing the drink to smoke was liquid nitrogen. Liquid nitrogen is a chemical that causes rapid, extreme freezing of human tissue. It can cause frostbite on contact, and releases gas that can cause the stomach to swell and burst. It is potentially lethal, and use of liquid nitrogen in cocktails is highly controversial.

"Instantaneously I had this sensation of terrible pain from the back of my throat all the way down to my stomach. It felt like frozen fire," said Jeremy. "It was agonizing. I felt cold like I've never felt before inside my body - the cold was so intense that it felt like burning. And there was this massive pressure building up in my chest. The pain was excruciating - my insides felt like they were going to explode."

Jeremy then collapsed and hit his head on the concrete. Jessica thought he was dead. "He was lying on the ground and I kneeled down next to him, tapping him, pleading with him, saying, 'Jeremy please don't die,'" she said.

The couple is now suing Clooney, Gerber, Hilton hotels, Casamigos Tequila, and Southern Wines and Spirits, the supplier, for negligence and battery. They're seeking $20 million.

Jeremy was rushed to the hospital and was diagnosed with gastrointestinal issues and head trauma. He says he couldn't work for weeks after the ordeal and was in constant pain. He couldn't eat solid foods and suffered from diarrhea for a full year.

He's had to endure surgery, endoscopies, a colonoscopy, invasive tests and medical procedures, and has been taking a lot of medication. As a side effect of some of the medication, his hair has fallen out.

"Jessica and I loved traveling and outdoor activities," Jeremy said. "I was always playing with the kids. Now I can't do any of that because of the pain I am in every day. I can't lift up the boys or climb or play with them like I used to."

An attorney represented Mr. and Mrs. Cox says that the bartender hired by the hotel to push the cocktail was inexperienced with liquid nitrogen.

"When Casamigos introduced a lethal substance [liquid nitrogen] into a tequila drink and failed to warn the consumer who then injected the substance and immediately suffered grievous bodily harm, it acquired liability for intentional tort/failure to warn," read the lawsuit.

Source: Daily Mail
Photos: Jeremy Cox via Daily Mail, Pixabay Stock Photo, Stefan Giesbert/Wikimedia Generic Photo, Urban Drinks, Minnaert/Wikimedia

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

Days before her wedding to Prince Harry, Meghan Markle's father made a huge mistake by selling photos to tabloids. Meghan thought he had learned...

Internet trolls are always looking for new insults to heap upon people in the public eye. A new insult has become a favorite for former first...

A sheriff's deputy from Texas is under investigation after he was accused of sexually assaulting a 4-year-old child. In addition, the deputy...

Prince Harry is not the only royal who has apparently fallen in love with Meghan Markle. The Queen welcomed the American actress with open arms,...

Prince Harry and his new wife, Meghan Markle, have broken a lot of traditions since they announced their engagement. Harry even went as far as to...

Latest Fab Stories

Jessica Simpson leads a very busy life as a mom and a professional in the entertainment industry. She also enjoys activities such as eating out at...

The First Lady broke her silence on President Donald Trump's hard-line stance against immigration. The president's crackdown on illegal immigrants...

Charli Stevens had one of those experiences that was so unbelievable that she just had to vent. She acknowledges that she’s not one for sharing...

A Russian woman was browsing her Instagram one morning as she usually did when she came across a view she recognized. It was the view from her...

Lainie Kazan, star of stage, television and film, was arrested for shoplifting on Christmas Eve in a Los Angeles grocery store. TMZ reported that...