Quantcast

Woman Plugs In Car Air Freshener - Seconds Later Car Explodes

Rescue workers were called to the scene of a car explosion after someone in the car reportedly plugged in an air freshener.

Authorities have since explained that a cigarette and can of air freshener were the cause of a car explosion in Essex. The car, a Ford Focus, exploded with such force that the roof, doors and windows were completely deformed and blown out. Now, Essex Fire and Rescue Service are blaming the explosion on a lethal combination of cigarettes and household cleaning spray.

"The explosion happened after a build-up of gases from an air freshener was accidentally ignited by a cigarette…Incidents like this are extremely rare, but it is important for everyone to be aware how flammable aerosol cans, such as air fresheners and deodorants, can be," declared a spokesperson for the Essex Fire and Rescue Service. According to the Southend Echo, there was only one woman in the vehicle at the time of its explosion. The newspaper also reports that the Ford Focus had been parked outside a B&Q home improvement store.

Albert Quixall, a local resident of Essex, was one of the first people to talk about the explosion, tweeting: “Just missed witnessing car explosion near Southend. Very loud bang. Ford Focus doors, windscreen, roof blown out. B&Q staff rushing to help…Awful. Emergency services on scene. One injured. Hope they are ok.”

Another Twitter user, Steve Read, responded to Quixall and hinted that there might be evidence of foul play, writing: “An explosion as big as that must cause some harm think the aerosol explanation doesn't ring true though? Wonder if lpg conversion.” However, other commenters were just glad no one had been killed. In particular, one user, named Nikki, was full of praise for staff at B&Q, writing: “@BandQ @bandq_help - whatever this was - your B&Q staff were amazing. No hesitation in rushing to help - well done to ALL.”

According to NY Daily News, the victim of the explosion managed to survive with minimal injuries. Despite the horrific explosion, when emergency services arrived at the scene, the owner of the Ford Focus was only dazed and bleeding from minor cuts and scrapes.

The victim, who has since been identified as 51-year-old Sharon Victoria Druitt, has been admitted to Southend University Hospital and is expected to make a full recovery. In an interview with the Daily Mail, Ms. Druitt described the moments just before the surprise explosion, saying: “I put the air freshener in the backseat, lit a cigarette, turned the engine on then bang. I was on morphine from the moment I left the car park so I had no idea of the damage…The officer said to me 'do you know what you got out of?' and showed me the images of the car after the explosion.”

An unnamed bystander was the first to arrive at the scene and recalled: “I have never heard anything like it. At first we thought it was a terrorist attack because of the world we live in. Then I just heard screams and ran to the car and all the windows were smashed and the doors were buckled. The whole car park is covered in bits of car.”

Source: NY Daily News
Photo: Twitter

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

A family in North Carolina went through a nightmare and feared losing their 6-year-old son, all because of a mosquito bite. The child got bit and...

A judge ruled that an Indiana man who has been accused of raping and eating his estranged girlfriend will stand trial. A state psychiatrist found...

Actor John Stamos and his wife, actress/model Caitlin McHugh, are new parents and are trying to enjoy family life. Unfortunately, trolls and...

A mother from Arkansas experienced every parent's nightmare after discovering that her nanny was abusing her daughter. The nanny barely got a slap...

Comedy actor Seth Rogen can make almost any story sound funny, but it helps when you have great material to work with. One personal story he told...

Latest Fab Stories

A mom shared a photo on Instagram in which she is nursing her three year old daughter. The mom reveals she is an extended nurser, and her older...

A little boy who was having a meltdown at school collapsed in a heap on the floor. The boy sat with his back against the wall and his head in his...

There was a time when people kept photo albums for their precious memories. Now, we have Instagram. One young couple on a date at a football game...

A Missouri couple has been arrested after it was discovered that they kept four children locked up in plywood boxes for weeks. The children were...

A father was sentenced to 75 years in prison for sexually abusing his daughter. The 12-year-old perished in a house fire with her 16-year-old...