Quantcast

Dad Cleaning His Gun Accidentally Shoots And Kills His Own Son

A young man passed away on Saturday after he was accidentally shot. The person wielding the gun was his own father. The father was cleaning his handgun when the weapon went off. The grieving father is devastated about the fatal mistake.

John Jordan, a father from Port Charlotte, Florida, was home cleaning his .45-caliber handgun. The dad had just been out to the gun range and returned home.

As he was cleaning the gun, the firearm discharged a bullet. The bullet hit his 22-year-old son, Joshua Alan Jordan, in the head.

Family members called emergency responders, and performed CPR on Joshua until the medical team arrived. The young man was rushed to a local hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.

John, a teacher with a love of firearms, has numerous posts on his Facebook page showing him at shooting practice. He's devastated by the incident, which police have deemed an accident. No charges are being filed at this time.

Neighbors were shocked to see police out in front of the house and crime tape roping it off in the usually quiet neighborhood.

"Nothing that we ever expected to happen, but it's just a very sad situation," said a neighbor. She described the family as 'very quiet people' and said it seemed very unlikely that something like this could have happened to them.

"It's just way too close to home," said another neighbor. "I feel very sorry for the family. It's just very saddening to my heart."

Unfortunately, this kind of thing happens more often than gun enthusiasts would like to think. Guns in the home are far more likely to hit a family member than an intruder, according to statistics.

One dad accidentally shot his son while cleaning his gun, and he was so devastated that he killed himself with the same gun. Police are still investigating.

In South Carolina last year, a 2-year-old girl died after being injured in a shooting her father was cleaning the gun and 'attempting to make the weapon safe' when it accidentally fired and struck both of his daughters.

The toddler died, but the four-year-old recovered from her injuries. Police ruled it an accidental shooting.

In one case in San Antonio, a man said he was taking his gun apart to clean it when it accidentally fired and struck his girlfriend. She was killed from the shot, and her boyfriend is now being investigated.

Firearm expert John Dezendorf told Fox 4 News that he's seen the same kind of tragedy time and time again.

"Number one, treat every firearm as if it’s loaded," said Dezendorf. "Number two, do not point it in the direction that you are not willing to destroy. Number 3, don’t you put your finger on that trigger until you have acquired your target and you want to shoot your firearm."

Source: Daily Mail
Photo: Facebook, WPTV

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

The term 'shotgun wedding' is an old one that came about as a sort of joke. If a couple was having a 'shotgun wedding', it meant that the bride...

There have been a lot of changes going on in Hollywood since the Harvey Weinstein scandal broke. The movie mogul was accused of sexual harassment...

A Palestinian-American family had attended a pro-Palestine demonstration and had a run-in with some flag-wearing Trump supporters. As one man...

Simone Biles is an amazing woman. At just 20 years old, she is the first Olympic gymnast ever to win four gold medals. She's a three-time world...

Ex-Vice President Joe Biden has been through a lot. So who better to console Meghan McCain, the daughter of seriously ill Republican Sen. John...

Latest Fab Stories

Melania Trump didn't seem to jump into the limelight like her attention-seeking husband did during the 2016 election. She showed up at merely a...

Authorities in France reported that 26 babies have been treated for salmonella poisoning this month, and the food illness outbreak has been traced...

One mom from Texas was about to take off for New York City with her 2-year-old son and her parents, but things had not been going well. After the...

A cheerleader from Milwaukee, Wisconsin unexpectedly suffered from cardiac arrest two years ago and was rushed to the hospital. She was diagnosed...

Parents are always looking for cute new poses for their little ones so they can show off the baby pictures. Anne Geddes really started the trend...