Mom Lectured For Letting Toddler Eat PB&J Sandwich In Target

A young mother made a post on a parenting blog complaining about a woman who approached her at a Target store and lectured her about what she was feeding her 4-year-old daughter. She mentioned the encounter, which startled her, and started up the discussion. Most of the parents posting on the blog agreed with the woman in Target, however.

The woman was walking around Target with her daughter sitting in the shopping cart. The child was eating a sandwich, which is probably something to which every parent can relate: you have a busy day, you're running late with your errands, and your child needs to eat.

Giving the child a sandwich while you shop seems a lot better than abandoning your errands, or walking around with a crying, hungry kid.

But the sandwich the child was eating was peanut butter and jelly. Another woman approached her to complain about her letting her child eat peanut butter in public.

"Has it become unacceptable to eat peanut butter in public?" the poster asked her fellow moms on the Urban Baby blog post.

She may have been a little surprise to find the resounding consensus was 'yes'.

“That’s really inconsiderate,” one poster wrote. "So many kids have life-threatening allergies to peanut butter. Eating it in a shopping cart GUARANTEES it will be smeared on the handle, etc. It’s really awful you would do this. Sorry, but imagine if it were your child with the allergy.”

"I hope no child dies because of any residual peanuts on the cart,” wrote another person.

Peanut butter seems to have become a point of contention in parenting circles. What once was thought of as a healthy and nutritious lunch is now banned in many places where children play and go to school. Some parents with picky eaters are furious that they can't send their kids with the old stand-by PBJ sandwich.

However, the arguments against peanut butter are not without merit. More than a million kids out there have peanut allergies, according to Food Allergy Research & Education, and some of those allergies are quite severe.

A little smear of peanut butter on a shopping cart handle might not seem like a big deal to most. But if a small child placed in that cart later in the day happened to get it on their finger, and put their finger in their mouth, they could have a serious, potentially life-threatening, allergic reaction.

The poor parent might not even realize what was going on until the situation became serious. For parents of kids with nut allergies, it's scary to think that anyone might be careless with the substance.

Some commenters on the blog argued that if your kid is allergic to peanuts, then it’s your responsibility to keep an eye on the child, and keep him away from places where there might be traces of peanut butter.

"If it is that life-threatening, don’t take them out,” complained one poster.

"What a horrible response,” another shot back. “Do not take out these kids so that [the original poster’s] kid can enjoy their PB&J sandwiches while sitting in a shopping cart. Sure, confine them to their home surroundings because we do not want to inconvenience [her] child.”

The original poster claims she wiped the cart, and her child, thoroughly. Nothing seemed to be resolved, and the debate rages on.

>

Source: Yahoo
Photos: Pantsuit Politics, Medical Daily, Sanford 365

Tell Us What You Think

More Fab Stories

A 15-year-old girl went to war with her school over the dress code, and landed herself in a juvenile detention center for six days. She's now on...

A lot of people will tell you that looks are superficial, but the fact is, how we look on the outside is often a reflection of how we feel about...

A Good Samaritan in Virginia plans to deliver 30,000 meals to the homeless before she turns 30, according to a recent media report. Moreover, she...

One small town in Colorado is lucky enough to have a community member who brightens everyone's day with a good chuckle. Vince Rozmiarek of Indian...

Something a cartoonist said in his weekly drawing offended a major advertiser. Next thing the artist knew, he was out of a job.

Rick...

Latest Fab Stories

One mother in Kentucky came home to find her teen son blew off all his chores and wasted the day away being lazy. She gave him a punishment in...

A set of twin brothers from Arizona who both aspire to be actors thought that they may have a better shot in Hollywood if they looked more like a...

A man stopped at the grocery store to purchase a few food items and diapers for his family on the little bit left over from his weekly salary. He...

A man named Mike left a waitress a $3,000 tip on a bill for $43.50 last week.

“This woman had been serving us for almost a year now. She’s...

One man had an experience at Burger King while enduring a splitting headache. He posted his story to Reddit about when he was in a long line at...